Italian side kicked out of Serie C after 20-0 defeat

first_imgBefore Sunday’s game at Cuneo in Piedmont, northern Italy, bottom club Pro Piacenza had already forfeited three matches and a fourth would have seen them kicked out of Serie C.So they took to the pitch with seven players, all teenagers born between 2000 and 2002. An eighth player could not initially start having forgotten his identity papers, and came on after an hour.One of the two players born in 2000 was named on the match sheet as the coach, with a team physiotherapist even taking to the pitch at one point to substitute a player who was suffering from cramps.Italian Football Federation president Gabriele Gravina had slammed the match as “an insult to sport” and vowed it would be “the last farce”.Lega Pro sports judge Pasquale Marino on Monday ruled that Pro Piacenza would be excluded from Serie C, with the “farcial match” assigned as a 3-0 defeat.In a statement Lega Pro slammed “Pro Piacenza’s unacceptable behaviour” which it said was also dangerous for players who had not been adequately prepared from the competitive point of view.Team physio Alessio Picciarelli, who came onto the pitch to replace a player, was disqualified until December 31, 2019.Pro Piacenza will also have to pay a fine of 20,000 euros ($22,615).The Italian third division, which is made up of three groups of 20 teams, is professional in Italy, but many of the clubs have financial problems.Last week Matera were kicked out of the league after forfeiting a fourth match with their players on strike since December, having not been paid since September.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Italian Football Federation president Gabriele Gravina had slammed the match as “an insult to sport” and vowed it would be “the last farce”.MILAN, Italy, Feb 19 – Italian third-tier side Pro Piacenza were on Monday excluded from Serie C after fielding a team of just seven players in a 20-0 defeat by league rivals Cuneo, governing body Lega Pro announced.Financially troubled Pro Piacenza, a side from northern Italy, have been unable to pay their players and staff, who have been on strike for several weeks.last_img read more

Will Dutton’s Brentwood be designated as historic?

first_imgA Los Angeles City Council committee will decide today whether to designate the building that houses Dutton’s Brentwood Books as a historic-cultural monument. The Barry Building, located at 11973 W. San Vicente Blvd., was designed by architect Milton Caughey and built in 1951. It first housed Brentwood Books, then Dutton’s moved in 1984. The bookstore is well-known within the Brentwood community and has hosted many authors over the years, including Kurt Vonnegut, Carlos Fuentes, Isabel Allende, Alice Walker and Al Gore. The Cultural Heritage Commission found the building is an example of mid- 20th century modern architecture in Southern California and has contributed to the social and cultural history of the San Vicente commercial area. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The architect’s daughter, Diane M. Caughey, is behind the effort to make the building a historic-cultural monument. The building was to be part of a redevelopment by billionaire Charles T. Munger. Earlier this year, however, Munger scrapped plans to build luxury condos and instead said he would erect a two-story retail complex that would retain Dutton’s. Designating the Barry Building as historic would require Munger to go through an extensive environmental review process before construction could begin. The council’s Planning and Land Use Management Committee will meet at City Hall at 2 p.m.last_img read more